Monday, May 30, 2011

One Year



I remember when I first moved to Tulsa. I needed a job, so I stopped at the DX while I was out one day. There I stood talking with Soda about a potential job when two girls walked up, and one of those girls was Angelica Winston.
I was never one to fall hard, but there was something about Jelly that captivated me. I barely knew her, but she was all I thought about. I remember the first time we ever touched. It was when we first met, I introduced myself, took her hand, and kissed the top of it.
We became official after that party I had at my house, and ever since then I've been the happiest man on earth.
Friday, I was at the DX in the middle of fixing a car when my phone rang.
"Hello?"
"Hey babe, I have some fantastic new to tell you.." Jelly said.
"Whats up?" I asked curious.
"Well... i'm just going to get to the point... I'm not pregnant." Jelly's words rang in my ear.
"Oh thank god!" I said bashing my forehead into the side of the car.
"What did your dad say?" I asked.
"Umm, well I didn't exactly tell him...." she answered.
"That was probably wise." I sighed.
A heavy relief lifted off my chest. I was ready to put that behind us so we could just focus on Sunday night.

Sunday was our one year anniversary. I've known for a while what I wanted to do on this day, but I didn't know exactly how, so with a little advice from a few various gang members, this is what I came up with:

I didn't see Jelly that morning. For the first night in.... forever, we each slept in our own beds. I had told Jels the night before what time to be ready. Though I couldn't wait to see her, I wished I had more time to get things ready myself. I woke up, showered, ate breakfast, then made some phone calls to confirm everything for tonight. If Kit went through with what I had asked of her, Jelly should have woken up to an envelope. Inside was a note and a $200 Visa card to spend on getting ready for tonight. I had even bought a new suit myself for the occasion. I picked up the suit from the dry cleaners, and made a few other stops before heading back home.
When it was time to pick Jelly up, I grabbed a small box off my dresser along with a single red rose.
Jelly emerged from the apartment front door as gorgeous as ever.
"I see my money was well spent." I said smiling.
"Kit helped....a little." she replied.
I heard a "Your welcome!" come from inside the apartment.
"Happy Anniversary." I handed her the rose.
"Ya know Dim, I've always wondered what's up with you and these single red roses....umm, babe? Do you know this is fake?" She wore a confused look on her face.
"Well I always told myself I'd only give a girl a single rose if I really loved her, that in a way I wanted it to represent that. But you see, the problem is roses eventually die, and that didn't fit well with my theory, so I figure as long as you have one that's always bloomed, it works." I explained.
"You mean you've given me a single red rose for ever anniversary to lead up to this?" She asked.
I nodded.
"I love you!" She smiled.
"I love you too, but we better get going, or our ride might leave us." I pointed over to the horse drawn carriage sitting in the parking lot.
"Oh my god... did I mention I love you?" Jelly said.
I laughed and helped her in the carriage.

We pulled up the the downtown music hall. We entered into a dark hallway,
"Dimitri what are we doing?" Jelly asked.
"You'll see." A smile playing on my lips.
We got a little further down the hall when we heard music playing and someone singing.
"Wait a minute, I know that voice....... NO WAY!" Jelly's pace picked up as we entered the empty music theater to see Duran Duran on stage playing.
Jelly's face was consumed like a little fan girl, I almost had to carry her to the dinner table set up in the middle of the theater.
"I'll be right back." I said setting my napkin on my finished dinner plate.
A few minutes later the band stopped playing while I entered on stage with my guitar in hand. I began playing softly as the band kicked in behind me. I began to sing with John Taylor backing me up. Jelly's cheeks turned red while I sang our song "Can't Take My Eyes off of You".
Jelly walked up to the front by the middle of the song, and when it was over I hopped off the stage and entwined her fingers in mine,
"Jels, I was never one to believe in love at first sight, but since the moment you first stepped into my life, you became my life, my everything revolves around you. I used to think about where I would be in ten years, who I'd be with, never did I think that I could meet a woman as unbelievable as you. I fall harder for you with each passing day, and it didn't take long for me to realize that I want you to be mine in every way possible."
I Reached into my jacket pocket as I keeled down on one knee,
"I love you, and I can't survive life without you... Angelica Marie Winston, will you do me the undeserving honor of marrying me?" I opened the box revealing a ring.
She started laughing through her tears, then nodded and whispered, "Yes...of course."
I expected her to say yes, but that didn't take away from the moment she actually did. I place the ring on her finger and kissed her.

3 comments:

Carson Randle said...

That, my dear, was beautiful. Your speech made me tear up. Seriously dude, where do men like you come from? :p Jelly is a lucky girl. I like your theory on roses :) it's like a part out of a romantic novel :s

Dimitri Ryder said...

I'll give Buck a few lessons for you Car :)

Carson Randle said...

You should :p but I don't think he's really into the while marriage thing yet :p