Tuesday, May 24, 2011

A New Idea

Yesterday I accomplished a task I have been dreading since I moved here, I cleaned out the attic. I figured most of the stuff was useless since I never unpacked it, but I didn't want to throw anything important away, so I sorted through the boxes one by one. After a few hours of sifting through junk and dust, I finally came down to the last box, which I expected nothing more from.
The first thing I pulled out was a framed certificate, It was my college diploma. I went to a two year community college back in California. Yeah I could have afforded a fancy University, but I didn't want to spend all that money and time on something I wasn't sure to pursue. I got a two-year degree in business,basically I just went because my mother and grandmother wanted me to.
I tossed the frame into the trash pile and rummaged through the rest of the box. Everything else was junk, except for the last thing I pulled out.
I forgot I had these.
They were old family recipes that had been passed down through generations. I found them and brought them with me to Tulsa. I remember Grans making these recipes when I was little, and how damn good they tasted. I glanced over at my diploma sitting on top of the trash pile, then back a the recipes.
Could I really do it? Would people actually pay to eat this stuff?
I thought back to a day when I was a little kid. Grans was baby sitting while mom was at work. It was around lunch time and I wanted to play restaurant with Grans. I took her order and made my little kid version of steak and potatoes and served it to her...
"You know Dimmy, I think you could own your own restaurant someday..." Grans's voice replayed in my head.

My own restaurant....
I decided to give her a call, and the moment I got the words out of my mouth she was yelling all kinds of positive things into the phone, she even said she'd help pay for it.
I hung up and realized what I just did, I thought about it some more.
Nobody would come, this is stupid I can't own a restaurant, I'm a pretty decent cook but hell I ain't no Bobby Souffle.
I decided to put it to the test. That night I had Jelly, TwoBit, and Kitty over for dinner. I cooked up a few of the recipes and had them try them. Their expectations were above and beyond what I expected.
"Dim...this is like...an orgasm in my mouth." Kit commented.
"What can I say? I tend to have that affect on women." I smiled.
Kit threw a butter knife at me, but I dodged it.

Later that night, after Kitty and TwoBit left, Jelly was sitting on the couch playing on my laptop while I was cleaning up dinner.
"Hey Jels?" I called from the kitchen.
"Sup?"
"I wanted to talk to you about something." I walked up behind the couch.
Jelly leaned her head back and looked up at me, "Is this more baby stuff?" She asked with a 'I really don't want to' kinda face.
"No no." I told her what I found when cleaning out the attic.
"I was thinking..of maybe... opening up a restaurant..." I said slowly, afraid she'd think it was a stupid idea.
She sat up and turned her whole body around, "Really?" She asked.
"Yeah. I mean if it's a success it'll bring in a lot of money, and I was hoping I'd have a bigger income before, ya know, getting married or anything. Do you think people would pay to eat it?"
"Dimitri, I'd pay twenty bucks a plate to eat that shit." She spat out the words.
I laughed. "So you think I should do it?"
"Hell yeah." she said.
"Alright then, I'll start looking at places tomorrow." I smiled and kissed her.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would've grabbed a bigger knife but Two-Bit has control of all pointy and sharp objects in this relationship AND I didn't want to leave Jell-O boyfriendless.

And the restaurant... HELLS TO THE YEAH!!! :D

-Kitty

You're blog is being stupid and doesn't let me post as myself. -.-

Jamie said...

well i havent tried it yet but im so fucking tired of Dingo's and blair's concoctions and im still here on the weekends so thats 6 meals. right there. :D feed the growing girl dim.

Elena Ryder said...

I call sexy bartender!! :)

hehe