Monday, February 14, 2011

Shattered Bones, But Whole Hearts



Valentine's Day

The day I dread most every year. Halloween comes complete with the dark, "let's dress like idiots and get free candy" feeling. Thanksgiving we draw close to the things that mean most to us while preparing our stomach's for a feast. Christmas, my favorite, brings along that warm, giving, feeling complete with presents and snowy nights. But when I think Valentines Day, I just want to vomit. The pink and red hearts, all the candy boxes and love notes. It's just gross. This year, my mood was entirely changed, I assume is has to do with the fact that I have the best and most beautiful woman in the world.

Though I've always hated Valentines, I never seemed to have trouble planning dates, but when it came to Jelly, I was lost. I've been laying on the couch and standing around the house for the past three weeks. With all my free time I finally came up with an idea for a date tonight.
The morning started out with a doctor's appointment. James had been checking in a lot since the accident, but he decided it was time that I have a real examination at a hospital. So I had one scheduled last minute at 9am this morning. Jelly was still asleep when I got up so I made her breakfast. Strawberry shaped pancakes, with scrambled eggs, and toast, complete with a glass of chocolate milk. I set the plate on the tray along with a letter and a single rose. I set it next to her in the bed and quietly slipped out the front door. Chase drove me to the doctor's office, since I kind of can't sit down to drive, instead I have to reline the seat. They had me dress in one of those ugly hospital gowns that make you feel so exposed. They took a few x-rays then James came in to tell me the results.
"Well, Dimitri everything is going as planned. You're lucky the fracture didn't do too much damage internally. There's still some torn tissue that will heal on it's own, and the screws we put in are holding nicely. You should be off crutches now and try to start sitting upright. Keep exercising and do a lot of walking so your muscles will get strong again."
All of it was good news, I could get rid of these stupid crutches and sit up. I was excited about that last part, lounging around all week may sound like fun, but when it hurts to sit you really don't enjoy it much. I thought we were done talking about my injuries when James started to speak again..
"Okay, there is a topic we have yet to breach. As a doctor I am licensed to discuss this information with you, and as a ..." he paused, searching for the right words, "to-be father-in-law, I guess, I'm inclined to tell you this because of our relationship, and I feel more comfortable discussing this with you than any other patient I've had."
I had no idea what he was getting to. I had thought about it before, but today I was totally lost.
"We need to discuss your sexual activities." he said.
My first instinct was to laugh, so I did.
"I take it you and Jels haven't been..... active these past few weeks?"
"Nope." I said, "It's killing her."
He actually laughed at that. "Well, usually people who damage their pelvic bone can't enter into any sexual activity for up to 6-8 weeks after the accident, but since you only damaged half of yours, I'd say your okay to do so in about a week."
I forgot who I was talking to for a moment when I said, "Thank God!"
But James just laughed that off too.
He wrote me another prescription for more pain killers then sent me off. One good thing about dating a doctor's daughter, you only pay half the hospital bill. :)

On the way back home, We stopped at my house to check the damage on the house and drop off a few things. Chase's room was still damp but Elena's and Justin's was fine. I met Justin for the first time, and his little boy. He seemed like a nice guy, I hoped Elena wasn't giving him any trouble. I walked into Elena's room and set a vase of pink carnations on her desk with a box of chocolates, and then a huge stuffed pink elephant for Jasslin. Chase and I drove back to the apartment. When we got there Jelly was awake and standing in the kitchen. I walked up to her, held her body to mine, and pressed my lips against hers.
"Happy Valentine's Day." I said.
She kissed me again, "What did daddy say?"
I made a disappointing face, "....not tonight." I answered.
Jelly sighed then skipped off to get dressed.

Jels, Chase, Dawn, Tibbs, Kit, and I all had a picnic in the park together for lunch. Oddly it was a warm day outside. We tossed around a Frisbee and just had some fun.
Later that night was when the romantic stuff would kick in.
I made sure the hot tub was empty. I lit some candles and scattered some rose petals, then I added some bubbles to the hot tub. I set out a stereo and pressed play on the CD I recorded. Our song, "Can't Take My Eyes Off of You." by Frankie Valli played, only it wasn't him singing it, it was me playing my guitar.
I cooked an exquisite dinner and poured some champagne then sat it all next to the hot tub. We put on our swim suits and headed down to the pool house. The rose petals lifted a nice scent in the room mixing with the steam. She sat on my lap facing me as we continuously kissed each other. Her fingers traced the scar on my left shoulder, then I saw a single tear drip from her eye.
"Baby, what's wrong?" I asked,
It took her a moment to answer, "I was just thinking... I very well could have been spending this day alone, crying in my bed...."
"But you're not." I said.
She smiled, "No.... I'm not." She started to kiss me again.
My hands slipped around her neck, when I brought them back down she felt something tickle her chest. She looked down and saw the diamond necklace.

We went back upstairs after a while, took a shower together, then crawled into bed watching a movie.
"It's Valentines Day." Jelly said, "the only day in the year completely devoted to love, and I can't have sex with my boy friend...cause he's broken." She made a pouty face like a five year old.
A wide smile spread across my face, "You know Jels, the only part of me that's broken is my pelvis, everything else works just fine." I stated.
Her eyes darted to mine, she raised an eyebrow and gave me a devilish smile.




I Love you Jelly. You're the reason I find life so precious. You make Valentine's day what it is for me. I found no purpose for it till I met you, I love you! -Dimitri


6 comments:

Dally Winston said...

Ur tongue must be sore! Hahahaha

Angelica Winston said...

Dallas!!!! I was going to leave a really nice comment but after reading yours..I just can't. Damn you.

Dimitri Ryder said...

-.- thanks dallas

Elena Ryder said...

awww my brothers to sweet it's disgusting. haha love you guys. thanks brother!

Jamie said...

LMAO DAL haha that was the best. Anyways awwww. thats so sweet. you guys are cute. i wish you the best. blah blah bla. **that was said in a monotone**
:P but it was sincere

Angela Shepard said...

I love Secret Valentine. :D Even if it did scare the crap out of me when it came on. But yeah, dude give Johnny some lessons!