Saturday, January 22, 2011

The Cost of Love (By: Chase)

KitKat and Jelly came over yesterday morning and wanted to hang out, so Dimitri suggested we take a walk through Tulsa and find something to do. Were walking down the street passing up ice cream, shopping, and movie theaters. The town wasn't busy so we were walking in the middle of the street, glancing back every so often to look for cars. Dimitri and Kit started messing around and yelling, Jelly was following close behind them laughing. It was then that I heard tires against the pavement behind us. I looked back and saw a car rounding the corner towards us, definitely going well over the speed limit. I yelled for everyone to get out of the street while I moved out of the way myself, but with their goofing around, apparently they didn't hear me. Kit saw it first and yelled as she ran towards the sidewalk. After that It all happened so fast......
Dim turned back noticing the truck and Jelly standing feet from him, being the boyfriend that he is, her safety crossed his mind first. He violently pulled on her arm and slung her towards me and Kit, but after that he didn't have time to get himself out of the way. The next five seconds flashed through my vision, yet still remain to replay in my head. It wasn't what I saw that broke my awe.... it was the sound. I wanted to close my eyes, but couldn't. There was a loud *thud* a *crunch* and the screeching of tires as Dimitri's body impacted with the car, the air, the car again, and finally the pavement. The noise that scared me the most though had nothing to do with the impact, but it was the silence that followed afterward. As I stared at my best friend's body lying still in the middle of the street I heard Kit punch in three numbers on her cell phone. My first instinct was to get over to Dimitri. I patted his cheek trying to get him to open his eyes, but he didn't respond. My voice raised and I could hear Jelly sobbing behind me. Still nothing....
I was still in shock, so when I noticed the blood I freaked out. It was seeping through his shirt, and the back of his head. I lifted his shirt and got sick at what I saw, praying that Jelly didn't see it. All I could tell was that he broke a few ribs, but I was sure there was more damage not visible at the moment. I didn't realize what was going on till someone's arm pried me and Jelly away from the scene. I don't even know what vehicle we rode in, but somehow we ended up in the emergency unit at the hospital. We waited, and waited, and waited. Minutes felt like days. All I could hear was the thoughts yelling in my head, and Jelly screaming from Kit's arms. No one would tell us anything, not even Jelly's dad. I saw a doctor walking from the direction they took Dim. He had a chart in his hand which he placed on a rack containing other charts. When he walked away, I sprang up and grabbed the chart. My eyes scanned over it....


Dimitri Alan Ryder
DOB: 4/30/1990
1/21/11

Patient involved in a Pedestrian + automobile accident. Police report states a hit 'n' run.
PHYSICAL EXAMINATION:
VITALS: Height: 70-1/2" Weight: 185 lbs. Pulse: 48/60 bpm.
SKIN: Exposed ribs.
INTERNAL: Abdominal bleeding.
Possible brain damage.
Neck Bruising.
Shattered Left Shoulder blade.
Five Broken Ribs.
Cracked Sternum.
Left Side Pelvic Bone Shattered.

*Not yet responsive*



A nurse started walking towards me as I quickly placed the chart back on the rack, teardrops spilling among the page.


-Chase

8 comments:

Dally Winston said...

Oh shit..

Dawn Cade said...

oh my God..

Angela Shepard said...

Holy mother of...............................I don't even know what to say.

Elena Ryder said...

...... ;'(


so many things are running through my head....

Jamie said...

:(

Jenna said...

Holy crap. I can't even think right now! Dim is going to get better!

Dawn Cade said...

mhm. dims strong. hell pull through..he has to.

Kitty Curtis said...

Damnit Dimwit! Please get better soon. That's an order. <3