Monday, December 13, 2010

Wake Up Call


I awoke to my phone loudly vibrating on the nightstand. Vibrate mode is for when you DON'T want to be woken up -.- FML. I answered it sleepily..
"hel..hello?"
"Yes is this Dimitri Ryder?" said the voice on the other end.
"Yeah, may I ask who is calling?"
"Yes, Mr.Ryder this is the Tulsa County police department, we believe we have a member of your family here, if it's no trouble we would like you to come down to the station."
I glance at the clock... 2:00 AM.
"Yeah I'll be right there."
I slid in to a pair of jeans and a t shirt. I grabbed my shoes and walked down the hall to Elena's room.... just as I thought, she wasn't there. What the hell did she do this time? I thought while grabbing my jacket and heading out the door.
I pulled up to the police station. I walked up to the desk and asked the policeman behind it where Elena was. Yeah, were on first name basis with police officers -_- that shows just how often I have to go there.
"Elena hasn't been in recently Mr. Ryder." he said.
"But, I got a phone call saying that she..."
"Dimitri!" I heard a voice behind me.
I turned and glanced at the bench planted against the wall to find my father. I rolled my eyes and sighed.
"What's the charge?"
"Sexual harassment..... he was drunk at a coffee shop down the street. They said he was making vulgar comments to the waitress."
"How much?"
"$346.00 or six months in jail."
I turned back. "Dad what the hell are you doing here?"
"You mom told me where you were....I came to pay you a visit."
"Why?"
"What? I have to have an excuse to visit my own son?"
"No, but you have to have care...and I know damn well you don't have that."
"Will you ever forgive me Dimitri?"
"It's not about if or when I will forgive you, it's the fact that you've still yet to change."
"Well...I'm here aren't I?"
"Yeah..in a jail, charged for sexual harassment...."
"Okay so It's not the best family reunion, but I attempted."
"Well, Dad... attempting just isn't good enough." I started to leave,
"After everything I've done for you, you're just going to walk away?" he shouted at me from across the police station.
"What the hell have you done for me? Huh? You think sending me a generous check every month is just going to make up for everything you didn't do? Let me know how that works out for ya."
"Dimitri...son, please..."
Damn me and my will to be kind. I handed the policeman at the counter my debit card.
My dad followed me out the door...
"I need a place to stay tonight."
"I already bailed you out of jail old man, you expect me to feed and clothe you too?"
"That's exactly what I did for you when you were little..."
"What about when I hit middle school? Or became Senior captain of the Swim team? When we became the high school state champ hockey players. What about when your grand daughter was born dad?"
"I'm sorry.... how is Elena?"
"Don't try and change the subject..... get in the damn car."
We walked in the house...
"You got yourself a nice place here Dimtri."
"Lucky for you Elena's out for the night."
"Who's this?" he pointed to a picture on the mantle,
"My girlfriend...Jelly." I said while throwing some sheets on the couch.
"Damn.... you tap that?"
'Goodnight dad." I said before disappearing upstairs.

5 comments:

Dally Winston said...

Hahaha sounds like a nice guy!

Jamie said...

well i was gonna ask dal wtf....but i dont wanna bother
and then i was gonna ask whats wrong with ur dad but mine aint much better
so yeah thats my pathetic little comment :)

Angelica Winston said...

Wow........I can't wait to meet your dad. -.-

Angela Shepard said...

HAHAHAHA! That'll be Curly in 20 years!

Kitty Curtis said...

I love how you're on first name basis with the cops. Dim, regardless of all, he's still your dad and ppl deserve a second chance :)